What is Public Law 95-057? I am a subcontractor. The

What is Public Law...

What is Public Law 95-057? I am a subcontractor. The contractor is asking if my business is 50% or more owned by a person who is in this group of individuals.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

California. No. I could tho.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No. Its just on a new contractor questionaire (sp?) and I wondered what it means.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just curious what this means. Thanks

3/21/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

That is the Small business act.

The National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC) minority group members as U.S. citizens who are at least 25% Asian, Black, Hispanic, or Native American.

This answers many common questions:

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/articles/Small_Business_Liaison_Officer_(SBLO)_Handbook_6_2010.pdf

please see page 4 specifically.

The Act specifically states:

SEC. 201. Section 2 of the Small Business Act is amended by adding at the end thereof the following new subsection: "(e) (1) with respect to the Administration's business development programs the Congress finds— "(A) that the opportunity for full participation in our free enterprise system by socially and economically disadvantaged persons is essential if we are to obtain social and economic equality for such persons and improve the functioning of our national economy; "(B) that many such persons are socially disadvantaged because of their identification as members of certain groups that have suffered the effects of discriminatory practices or similar invidious circumstances over which they have no control; "(C) that such groups include, but are not limited to, Black Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, and other minorities; "

That information is here:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-92/pdf/STATUTE-92-Pg1757.pdf

and here - 15 usc 631:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/631

Please see:

https://www.ncmahq.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/articles/cm1009---24-41

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=50ff66d5d1cc9357d5f4ce114fcc5c79&mc=true&node=pt13.1.121&rgn=div5#se13.1.121_1101

for additional resources

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer