I have a first-time petty larceny ticket from Target due to…

I have a first-time...

I have a first-time petty larceny ticket from Target due to an extremely unfortunate accident, I had no intention of stealing anything from the store and when I was in the Target vestibule, I realized I hadn't paid -- I had my wallet out and my Target gift card on top of my wallet in my hand. I want to know if I need an attorney to represent me at my court date in May.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I received a ticket from the police and have a court date of May 15.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

Long Island, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that it was just clearly a huge misunderstanding.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

It is always in your best interest to be represented by a criminal defense attorney. They can look at the facts of the case and see if you have any defenses or if you should go to trial and fight this. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this Diversion program available in NY? I am scared to death -- I've never even had a traffic infraction, and I am 51 years old.
Phone call session started
LegalKnowledge, Attorney