Who are pro bono lawyers for petioners for mental

Who are pro bono...

Who are pro bono lawyers for petioners for mental commitments in iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in IA family court?

The papers are filed she has been picked up and the hearing is Friday

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I don’t know she is in a hospital. I’m assuming they will give her a court appointed attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that this is an extreme case and she is a substance abuser and diagnosed previously with a litany of disorders prior to this involuntary commitment all other times has been voluntary commitments and she has walked out against medical advice Avon 10 times over the last year

3/21/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I can tell you that the very best way I know of to find an attorney would be to use the nationwide database www.martindale.com which will allow you to search by state and by specialty. It's the database that attorneys use when they themselves need an attorney (for themselves or as local counsel on cases)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks. When I go to th website it says cannot be shown

Let me send you a more direct link....

https://www.martindale.com/find-attorneys/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That worked. Thanks

My pleasure :) And you can put in Mental Health into the search field.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me if my charge card has been charged and no future payments will appear?

Unfortunately experts don't have access to any of your personal financials but I'll reach out to customer service and let them know you don't want to be charged for anything in the future if that's what you'd like me to do... ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please. There are pending charges of $5 and $42 on my card. Please have them take off the $42.

That would be the charge for the correspondence today. Were you not satisfied with the assistance you received? If there's additional information you need I would be happy to provide it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought it was only $5 for a question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How many questions do I get for $42

There's no set number of questions but if you have additional questions I'd be happy to answer them. I want to make sure you have all the info you need!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I need to know what and if there has to be adequate proof provided at the hearing for statements in the affidavit. I am asking for my fiancé against his daughter. He has some paperwork but not very much because of the hippa laws....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is an adult and has been in and out of mental hospitals about 10 times over the last year. She is spiraling out of control and he is concerned she will be a harm to herself and others.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does he need to do to prepare for the hearing

So your fiance wants his daughter to be committed... is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
because she walks out of the hospitals before and she needs psychological help

The issue is that a medical practitioner would need to state that she is a danger to herself or the community in order for her to be committed - and if none is willing to state that during the time she is in the hospital she will be able to leave the hospital.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know that. What can he do to make sure that doesn't happen

He would need to have a medical provider have her deemed a danger to herself or to others on the basis of THEIR medical evaluation. Statements made by a family member are helpful - and all he can do is tell the truth about everything leading up to the hospitalization. I'd love to tell you there's some magic in that but it's very literally about disclosing what the person knows about the other person's behavior leading up to the hospitalization.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She won't agree to having a medical evaluation done without being forced by judge. She will not grant him hippa either. She also will lie to the evaluator prior to the hearing and there is nothing we can do?

What you COULD do is go to her doctor and ask if he or she would be willing to provide a statement. And you can also contact the state about involuntary commitment and report her actions.

You already have a hearing in Family Court regarding commitment right? So you'd go to that hearing and explain exactly why you feel civil commitment is appropriate - and they would make a determination as to whether it rises to the level of appropriate for involuntary commitment.

Obviously it's a VERY big deal, taking someone's rights away like that, and courts are reluctant to do that without the appropriate amount of evidence as well as a medical opinion to the effect that it's appropriate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WhoDo i ask her ask as her doctor...the one that does the assessment? She has no medical dr...Who I do i contact at the state?

If she doesn't have an actual doctor then there'd be no doctor to ask... since you have a court hearing you will need to convince a judge that she needs to be evaluated because you deem her to be a risk to herself and/or others.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is being evaluated at the hospital she is at right now after being picked up by the police for a 72 hr hold pending the hearing. I'm saying she will lie to that assessor. I'm telling my fiance to get a statement from a previous assessor when she was in the numerous hospitals in the last year. ..i hope that will convince the judge. ...she can be very manipulating. ...

Yes, people frequently do lie. That's the nature of this type of situation for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is the crux of the last 10 years. She is so manipulative when she wants to be. She will be on her best behavior during the assessment.

So if that is really the case and she is an adult and a medical professional deems her safe to herself and the community then there's not much more you would do. Since she is an adult and adults that are deemed competent have the ability to make decisions for themselves. The alternative would be sort of unconscionable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She cannot make reasonable decisions byherself without treatment. She cannot hold a job or support herself. She is homeless because of these issues. She sells herself for a place to stay for the night...night after night...I don't know what else do. I'm also afraid that she will have some kind of retaliation if she gets out
She has threatened to burn my house down an riddle it with bullets!

I understand. None of that makes her someone that should be committed and restrained as a result of mental illness. That may be the basis of a restraining order but it's not a basis for her to be put away in the equivalent of jail and labeled mentally ill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not due to the fact that she has be in and out of 10 mental health facilities in the last year make a difference? She us giving up on the mental health system because she says they can't help her. She will take any chemical that she can get. She has been diagnosed with PTSD, BPD, ODD, severe depression and suicidal ideation. Shouldn't that be enough?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But we don't have the records to substantiate because of hippa

If she is immediately suicidal and/or a threat to herself or to others then it would be grounds to keep her. But since she is an adult you wouldn't be entitled to her medical records.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would the court have entitlement to her records?

Yes. They would be able to obtain all of her commitment records.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney