I'm trying to obtain a Passport but my Birth Certificate is…

Customer Question
I'm trying to obtain...

I'm trying to obtain a Passport but my Birth Certificate is different than all my legal docs I have. I have never used this name and I have a driver license , license to carry and social security under the name I have always used even all my school records. Is there a way around this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just filling out the passport information and obtaining my school records

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

It is possible to apply for a passport in the name that does not match the birth certificate; it is up to the discretion of the issuing agent.

Basically this form needs completed:

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5504.pdf

along with a minimum of 3 early public records re: name usage- such as baptism certificates, census records, early school records, family bible records, doctor's record of post natal care.

Otherwise one can apply for an adult name change through the courts and they are typically granted so long as there is no indication the purpose is fraud (ie to avoid creditors).

Please see here for instructions and forms.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.