I rent an apartment in New Jersey. A tree fell on my car…

I rent an apartment...

I rent an apartment in New Jersey. A tree fell on my car while it was parked behind the my house and it was declared a total loss. My landlord had no property insurance at the time. My auto insurance company paid the book value of the car but I still owe my finance company about $7,000. My landlord and her attorney believe it was not her tree, but the neighbor's. The neighbor has property insurance. It seems to me that I have several possible course of action: I can join forces with my landlord and let her attorney make a claim against the neighbor's insurance (my landlord had to pay $3,000 to have the tree removed), or file my own claim against the neighbor's insurance, or sue my landlord in small claims court in the hope of settling for $5000.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Okay, what is cost for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Real Estate Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

What is "the rest" --??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No paperwork, but I spoke to my landlord's attorney and also to the next door neighbor. All friendly so far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this?

Not my own lawyer, just my landlord's.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know what the lawyer would charge me for this service. You have not answered my question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/21/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Frankly, ALL three of those are viable options. The only issue is if you intend to "join forces" with your landlord you need to make sure that your landlord actually is intending to make a claim against the neighbor's insurance - so that you're not stuck waiting for him or her to do something they don't intend to do. Filing your own claim allows you to control the speed at which it happens. Also, there's one more option you didn't mention - and that's suing the neighbor in small claims court. Frankly, you can sue both simultaneously in small claims court. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I filed a claim with the neighbor's insurance and did not get satisfaction, could I still sue the neighbor? Or is it either/or?

No, it's not either or. Generally that's exactly what people do... they go the non-litigation route and if that fails they can proceed to litigation.

You can sue from the get-go but filing a claim against insurance is of course cheaper and easier (and doesn't require you to go to court).

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thanks! I think that's enough information to go ahead with.

It was my pleasure. Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney