I'm in Arizona and our practice administrator is looking to…

I'm in Arizona and...

I'm in Arizona and our practice administrator is looking to install cameras. Where can he install cameras in our medical facility?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

Not yet. It's hard to get him to change his mind once he decides on something. And he decided he want's cameras. He's from a corporate background not a medical one.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He has recieived a quot from a security company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

3/21/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not a problem. Thank you.

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thanks so muchf or your patience. Generally, it is legal for an employer to install cameras in the workplace, but there are limits. One of those limits are where an employee would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. For instance, the employer cannot install them in the bathroom or locker rooms. The employer also cannot install them in a place where union workers would normally gather to find out more about union activities as well.

If they do place it in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, then the employer can be on the hook for intrusion upon seclusion which is a civil action the employees could take. Thus, so long as the cameras are in places like the front desk area, the waiting area, or any common areas, even outside the building, it is fine. Bathrooms, changing rooms, or other very private areas are not.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does HIPPA say the same?

Well, HIPPA laws requires that medical practices secure information regarding their patients so as long as the video is not being distributed to a third party without the consent of the patient, then it will be fine. Many hospitals have security cameras in the common areas and it's HIPPA compliant.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer