We received a bill for restoration after harvey that the…

We received a bill...

We received a bill for restoration after harvey that the church had already done 80% of the work. We asked for an itemized bill and it was all fraudulant. We asked for a second bill and they still remained the same at over $20.000 . Now they have plac3d a lein against the property and we have already sold it. What recourse do we have? Thanks, sandy

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in texas and in volved in the harvey flood with almost seven feet of waTter in our home.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We signed a contract and gave down payment and have tried to talk to this company about the fradulent bill but they are staying with the $20,ooo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just wondering if we are tied in even if we have pictures that they did not do thhe work.

3/21/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

so the lien now rests on property you dont own? is the buyer complaining about it? what outcome do you seek?

We found out about the lein yesterday and have not talked to the new owner. We only seek to pay the part of the bill that the company. We offered $5500 plus the $1250 they already received but the are refusing this. Their bill is totally fradulant.

You can threaten to sue to remove the lien and get a declaratory judgment. You can also threaten complaint to the BBB and attorney general office

Hiring an att. To cover this costs almost as much as the bill
Counsel time and fees should be limited. Alternatively you may pursue the threats yourself in the first instance.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
This was acceptable and we will pursue ourselves now. Thankd.
Perfect. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Great advice!!!