If I transfer ownership of my house and prop. Sorry, if I…

Customer Question
If I transfer ownership...

If I transfer ownership of my house and prop

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Sorry, if I transfer my property to my child can I legally keep insurance on the property in my name? I will continue living on the property until my death.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you

You can do this with a joint tenancy with right of survivorship.This leaves proeprty in both names until you decease and it passes tot he survivor under terms of the deed.This might be the best way to do this if you want to keep insurance you have to have an ownership interest in your name.

Under such a deed the survivor need only file death certificate in the county deed records and title passes to them.

Forms

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/survivorship-deed-forms/

Affidavit and death certificate to transfer it at your death

https://www.deeds.com/forms/indiana/affidavit-of-surviving-joint-tenant/

This would give you co ownership until death and then it passes to the survivor.I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.