My wife and I, on March 4th 2018, attended a visitation at a…

My wife and I...

My wife and I, on March 4th 2018, attended a visitation at a funeral home in Gallatin, TN. There were no notices posted stating that the visitation was private. Shortly after viewing the deceased, and while in the presence of many people, a uniformed local policeman came to us and announced in a voice loud enough for many to hear, "Mr. and Mrs. X (us), I am escorting you outside. Naturally we complied with his statement and he escorted us outside the funeral home.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TN family court?

Do we have any legal recourse due to this humiliation before so many people that we have known since we were children?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No.

3/21/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do we have any legal recourse due to this humiliation

.

Unfortunately no, while what the deceased's family did was classless and uncalled for as they could have had the funeral director approach you privately, what they did was within their legal rights. You wouldn't have an actionable claim against anyone for being embarrassed in public by the family's actions in asking that you be removed from the premises.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Thank you so much.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even if the news was kind of lousy...

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney