I am interested in finding out if NYC dormers can remain in…

Hello, I am interested...

Hello, I am interested in finding out if NYC dormers can remain in their dorms without being removed despite no longer being enrolled and if squatters rights apply to them

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NY lawyer about this?

No, I have not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if this a fight worth taking on. For a student wishing to enroll in classes again that has been charged a large amount of fees daily for staying.

3/21/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
please.
Thanks for your patience. So squatters rights aren't really a thing. If a person is no longer complying with the terms of the agreement, then the landlord has the authority to evict. The landlord cannot engage in self-help measures which means they cannot lock the person out or shut off their water and electricity. In your case, if a person is no longer a student then the landlord has the right to evict them. What this means that if the person cannot find a place to live right away, the landlord is not able to have them physically removed from the property or shut off the water and electricity. The person that is still on the property still has to pay the rent in comply with the terms of the agreement, but if the landlord wants them physically off of property than they are going to have to file an unlawful detainer lawsuit in their court. So, it's not necessarily that they have the rights of a squatter, it's that they have the rights of a tenant which means the landlord must follow procedures to have them evicted, but they have the right to have them evicted under these circumstances.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I see, this particular instance involves a student at my school, Hunter College and while she has been served notices requesting for her to leave the dorm- the school has filed an eviction suit. I’m just doing a story for my journalism class and I need to quote a professional. Is there a quote, as a professional that you would be able to provide regarding weather this is a case worth fighting or not? I would have to include a name and age. Usually on here I have the doctors name listed in the profile.

I see and very cool. Unfortunately, I'd prefer that I'm not quoted. It's a liability thing. What I would do if I were you is take my statements to maybe a local NYC real estate or landlord-tenant attorney and compare what I said against their maybe more specific knowledge regarding university policies and NYC landlord-tenant law. I believe my analysis is accurate; however, a local attorney may be able to shed even more specific light and could use the publicity.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, that was all- thank you fro your help

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer