I’m want to collect on a dept. I loaned my stepson $6000…

I’m want to collect...

I’m want to collect on a dept. I loaned my stepson $6000 with an agreement that he would pay me back monthly. Going on 18 months and no money received. What do I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My name isDale

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’ve asked him repeatedly. Nothing but excuses

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are other moneys owed. About $400 in cash advances. And 4 months of rent about $1600

3/21/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Take your time

Do you have anything in writing stating that he owes you this money?

Just want to know if there is a form at the court house I can fill out on my own. So I can try and recover some of the money I lost

You can absolutely sue your stepson in small claims court for the amount he owes you. What state are you in? I'm going to try to find you the forms.

I live in Ontario Canada
I have a loan agreement. He signed, I signed and there is a witness signature as well. Stares what the money was to be used for with details of payments

My apologies... it looks like your question got routed to the US. I'm going to see if I can find you the forms anyway but if not I will opt out so that a canadian lawyer can look.

Appreciate any help you can provide

Here you go: https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/

You'll be able to file online from here!

Thanks. Have a great day

It's my pleasure :) If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.