I was informed by my manager I was being off due to cost…

Hi, I was informed...

Hi, I was informed by my manager I was being laid off due to cost cuts. Its been 6 days and no further communication from HR or anyone else in the company despite me requesting. Should I type up an email to HR asking if this is even happening and that I was promised at this meeting that my bonus will be paid in full as I over deliver on my personal KPIs?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet. i'm really confused by the conduct so far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm the only female in the company. Vice President of Marketing. I have documentation from my manager stating I have over delivered on my KPIs. There was a gentleman who was laid off and is staying for two months and my last day has been determined as 5 weeks.

3/21/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question is yes; you should contact HR and ask them if they plan on legitimately going through with the layoffs. This is important because you may be owed vacation time and the law generally requires that you be paid your last paycheck during the regular time that you would normally be paid (or on your actual date of termination in some states like California).

A simple, gentle email to HR requesting the specifics of your possible termination would be wise. Keep it to 1-2 paragraphs maximum, just detailing what you've been told, what your concerns are, and with a request that they provide you additional information.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can they penalize me for listing the details of the conversation with my manager where he stated: you bonus will be paid due to our performance on personal KPIs, this layoff has nothing to do with your performance we are shutting down the marketing department, the company's CEO mentioned and I state "she is too talented to let go, we should try to find her another job within the company but as I know you I told them no", your last day is 4/20. There have been 2 gentleman laid off recently from this company, they both had sit down and COO present, and received documentation (info on health insurance, 401K). I received a phone call on Friday afternoon. So, I'm still a little confused and unsure why I'm being treated differently or how to approach this situation.

They could penalize you for listing the details, but that would make no sense whatsoever unless there is some specific rule in the handbook specifically prohibits you from doing this. I think that stating what you've been told is going to be very important and you should bring up that you, as a woman, have been treated differently and that causes you some concern. Because workplace discrimination is against the law, this may encourage them to get things moving in one direction or another.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told my bonus will be paid as part of the separation package and that the company doesn't provide severance package. I'm worried that if I start asking questions they will penalize me and not pay me my bonus.

One sec...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My bonus per my agreement was suppose to be paid out on or about 3/6. So, I would like to keep the bonus payout and separation agreement as two separate things. I'm not sure why my boss told me it will be a part of the separation agreement.

Still with you. One moment...

Ok, I'm sorry for the delay. If you have earned any bonuses at all up until the date of separation, then the law requires that they provide you that bonus regardless of how much you're paid out as a severance. Regardless, HR should be the place that can help provide clarity. If they balk at the idea of the bonus, remind them that the law requires that all earned wages, including bonuses, are to be paid out when you're terminated so it's not up for debate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have worked here for a year and had in my agreement 2 bonuses to be payed out by annually. I have earned the first at 100% and have an written email from my boss as of this Dec where it states I have over delivered on my second or full year performance. You mentioned: (If you have earned any bonuses at all up until the date of separation, then the law requires that they provide you that bonus regardless of how much you're paid out as a severance. Regardless, HR should be the place that can help provide clarity. If they balk at the idea of the bonus, remind them that the law requires that all earned wages, including bonuses, are to be paid out when you're terminated so it's not up for debate. ) Does this statement still applies to this situation I described above?

Yes. So long as you've earned your bonus/commission/etc., then it's to be paid out. The law requires you're compensated for all wages that you earned, including those.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is my sample, email. will this be ok to send.Hi Mark,hope all is well. It is a sad circumstance under which I'm reaching out but I understand the company is making some tough cost cutting measures and as Jon informed me in our phone conversation on 3/16/18 my position is being eliminated on 4/20/18.As sad as these events are I was happy to hear from Jon about how I was a tremendous asset and the layoff has nothing to do with my performance, in fact that my earned bonus of $25,000.00 will be paid on my last day.I would also like to understand:
- Health benefits and the date till these will be in effect
-COBRA options
- 401K
- Accrued vacation: Would you be please able to tell me how may I will have accrued by 4/20/18?It will be very helpful for me and my family's planning to shed some light on the above details.Appreciate your help.

I think that's very good. Very professional as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Never could be anything else. That is why I was hoping to be treated with at least the same respect as others :-) (phone call, no documentation ready....) I already have a new job believe it or not. :-)

That's great! Go get your $ and good luck on your new path.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will. I think the conduct (even as professional as my email is) will already be a red flag and if the HR is "smart" they can see a potential issue... I'm now a CEO of a very innovative company. :-)

Nice!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
www.way2bu.com:-)

Cool. Is this the name of the new company you're working for?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are reorganizing the company as we speak and will be forming a new entity and will let you know when done so you can read up a little more on the company, the product and me... :-) I've created it from scratch. Now its time to launch. And Thank you for your help!

Good stuff! Excited for you. Best of luck.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Good morning again, its been 24 hours and I have heard nothing from HR to the email I sent asking for clarification (above is the email I sent).... No acknowledgement of receipt nothing. (In fact not acknowledging to an email or responding within 2 hours is against the company written policy) What should be my best next step? do I forward on the email tomorrow to the CEO and HR? I would really like some answers and confirmation. I only hear in oral statement from my boss but now I don't even know if its real.

Hello. Do the higher-ups usually work weekends or respond to emails during that time?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
absolutely. I did as well.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Even company conference calls happen on weekends.

If that is the case, then I would wait until COB Friday and if they still don't respond, send a message to the higher ups on Saturday or Sunday and forward the message you sent the other day to them to show how much time has lapsed.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My suspicion is all along that they do not want to pay me my bonus and are probably now consulting with HR lawyers as well. Its very confusing and a very strange conduct. Unethical to say the least. But all I want is just simple answers and clarification - I'm really just confused by the whole situation. ..... and why sending the message on the weekend? Is there a particular benefit to such practice?

I think they may be engaging in some underhanded activity, but I don't know for sure. My recommendation for sending it on the weekend is because they are more likely a) to be relaxed b) less less likely to be in meetings; c) to respond to you sooner and d) other people are not in meetings so they can get answers quicker than during the week.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for the advice. I will wait and will let you know how this all continues or ended.

No problem!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hello, me again. As of today I have still not heard back from anyone and also HR did not respond to my email asking about details of my layoff. Today, I found out that there was a gentleman in the office who got laid off and his last day is today. He was notified today by HR that they will mail his documentation/severance tomorrow (which is a day off for the company). What are my next best steps. Can I make copies of my email to document my performance so they don't try to back out of paying me my bonus. Collect copies of my email if I would have to pursue legal action for them to pay me? Do I send out another email now or wait till my last week of employment? Do I forward on the first email to HR again?

I'm sorry to hear that. You should keep documentation of your performance and collect any other documentation to prove you earned this money.

I would probably send one more email advising that you won't have an option other than to go to the department of labor.

It’s important to remember that they are unfamiliar with an employer’s policies, wage scales, compensation plans, bonus schemes, etc. so if an employee provides much of that information in an organized manner in advance, then they are going to be in good shape. If a person has a complaint regarding overtime, they can actually just click here and follow the rules on how to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor.

So, that may be the thing that gets them moving.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you for that. In fact I found out from the gentleman who's last day was today that he was informed, in a meeting with his manager and his boss, of his lay off in January 2018 and he had till end of March 2018 and received a month of severance. He worked there similar amount of time as me but was a lower grade. However, during my phone call where I was informed of my lay off I was told the company doesn't offer severance pay.... is this a case where I can say I'm not being treated the same or does the company have the right to do whatever "it wants".

Interesting. So, the company does have the right to do what it wants, but it has to be consistent with the laws regarding discrimination and their agreement with you individually. When it comes to severance, it's hard because some get more, some get less, but really depends on what you earned and what you can negotiate from them.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Here are my thoughts. The week of 4.20.18 my last week. I will send out a carefully written letter laying out all my questions and also concerns.Questions: benefits, cobra, accrued vacation, severance paySeparate question: bonus as that is completely separate from a lay off (I will include attachment with documented performance, dated statements and emails from my boss confirming me an asset and statements made to me on numerous occasions that bonus will be paid in full.)I will also note that my concern is that as a woman I'm being treated differently as the last gentleman has received (3 months notice and severance pay.) and that I will have to file a complaint with the department of labor.Thoughts?

I think that crafting a carefully worded email that addresses all of those issues is going to be wise. There's no guarantee they will respond; however, at least now you have some recourse you can take if they continue to play dead.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Would you be willing to write it? How much would you charge? If we would want to pursue an action how much would it be?

I wish I could, but because I don't live in your state and because I don't think it's time for you to involve a lawyer, I don't think it'd be a good idea. It's usually best to get a lawyer involved if your rights are being legitimately abridged. They're acting unprofessionally now, but not yet illegally, so let's take it step by step.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
agreed. I’m just curious if, in the worst case, there is anything I can and how much if it would be worth pursuing legal action at all to get my pay and bonus. Just collecting information at this point to pursue the correct rout.

Understood. In your case, since it would be wage issue, the department of labor requires that you go through them first before you take legal action. If they can't resolve it to your satisfaction (which is unlikely) then you can file a lawsuit against the company in district court. But people try to cheat employees all of the time out of their wages and typically the DOL has the authority to put the fear of God into them to cut the checks they are supposed to cut.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
This is good to know. I have all my documentation ready that is supportive. W2, paystubs, last bonus paid, all the conversation dated and email where stated I will be paid, email with my performance.... anything else I should collect to help DOL to get what I have earned? I’m just asking for what is fair and equitable.

I think that information is exactly what they're going to need.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you. Happy Easter!

You too!

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Hello, following up. As of today morning I have still heard nothing from the company and my last day (being laid off) is this Friday 4/20/18. I have sent a nice email and copying CEO, COO, HR and my boss asking about severance, benefits.... and my bonus. I have received the following response from the HR (who finally called me after 5 weeks back). My severance is going to be the $25,000 which is the balance of my bonus but I will only receive the $25,000 when I sign the separation agreement on Friday. So, my bonus they are not qualifying as bonus and said the company had a poor performance but they will give it to me in a severance package when I sign the separation agreement. I'm honestly confused and not sure even where to start with questions....
Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I guess my question is. Do I file with department of labor and do I have a good chance receiving my $25K bonus that way or would that be really hard to get? Do I take it as a severance and sign a separation agreement?

Thanks so much for coming back. I'm sorry to hear that they are doing this to you.. Because they owe it to you, they really shouldn't call it a separation amount because you already earned that $. They should be providing you that $ regardless. You may want to tell them that you can only sign a severance agreement if there is additional money that you didn't already earn that should be coming to you.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Thank you. What if they will not want to pay me the $25K bonus and will only insist that they will give it to me when I sign the separation agreement? The HR brought up that the company has not performed and that is why I was not payed my bonus. Can they do that?

They can't withhold your $ that you already earned. That would be wage theft. You should only sign the separation agreement if it is money that you haven't earned, but is specifically compensation for the separation.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Could they come back and say the company didn't perform or say I didn't perform and not pay me my wages? The HR said he will send me a write up of my conversation but I have not received it. Should I send them a write up and mention that I have earned the bonus even based on the feedback I was given and this is a layoff so therefore they can't come back its my performance....? What should my next step be?
Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Or do I just file now with the department of labor? Because the HR said he wants me to sign the separation agreement so that I release the company from any wrong doing and I can't come back and "charge" them ...

No. They can't avoid paying you any earned wages under any circumstances. If your bonus was tied to company performance and they reduce it legitimately, that's fine, but they can't just avoid paying you unless there was something that they could legally do to withhold the bonus (e.g. if a sale wasn't completed, for example). I think advising them that a) you earned the bonus; b) that the bonus can't be taken away if you earned it; c) that you won't sign the separation agreement unless there is additional money attached to it beyond the bonus; and d) if they don't contact you by the end of the week, you'll have to file a wage complaint to get your money.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I was a marketing executive and not tied to sales in my KPIs or by job description. The company has not made the sales projections but as it is a private company I do not have visibility to that neither have I participated in forecasting sales..... everything they asked me to do I have done and more..... I just want to make sure they can't come back and say "we don't have sales" or somehow claim I didn't do my job... than I guess I would rather sign the separation agreement.... Do you have time for a quick call now?

I understand. Unfortunately, I'm close to my sign off time, but if you'd like, we can schedule a call for tomorrow if you'd like?

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
ok. Morning hours work for me.
Customer reply replied 4 days ago
would you need my cell phone number?

Cool. Here's the thing though, is that the site charges $59 for the phone call. Your call time is unlimited and your satisfaction is guaranteed. I'll send you a phone request now.

Awesome. I have to run right now, but please please please put your # and a good time (your time zone) to call.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I sent you my cell phone and I'm in Minnesota. Morning hours are good. Please, let me know if you received my cell phone. 9am central time is good for example (not sure where you are at).

Hi, I don't' see that the # was uploaded; however, I can be available for a call for you at 9am CST. There may be a place for you to upload your # and if not, we'll connect tomorrow one way or another.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Sounds good. Have a good night. I see a message on my screen "you sent your expert private contact info:" so that is where it is. or here(###) ###-#### 9am works great.
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Morning. Still good to chat in a few minutes?

Yes. I'll call you in about five minutes.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer