My twins dad in June will have not paid child support or…

My twins dad in...

My twins dad in June will have not paid child support or seen my twins Im a year. Can i dile a petition for abandonment by myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I currently have a attorney that i had to rake a loan out for .. but i feel her fees are high anx is using up all the money

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I was charged 640 for a phone call

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wyoming

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Just so I'm clear, are you looking to file for divorce on the grounds of abandonment?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No we were divorced back in 2013. He in June of last year requested to stop seeing my twins and has stopped paying child support

I see. So, you're looking for back child support I presume?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No my initial question was can I file a petition for abandonment on my own ... so he can relinquish his rights?

I see. So you're looking for full custody of the kids?

Excellent. So, basically, you'll have to go through the courts. You won't be filing for "abandonment" necessarily, but you'll be filing for full custody.

Custody, visitation, and child support are always difficult issues to sort out, but thankfully the courts are there to help settle the score on the issue. If you are looking to modify custody, visitation, or child support, you’ll have to go through the court system. It typically starts with filing a petition, which is just a request through the courts to get a change in one of those things. Once you fill out the petition, you should make three copies: one to you, one for the court, and one to the other party. It is critical to understand that the courts are bound to look at what is in the best interests of the child above all else. This means they will look into who and how the child’s health, education, welfare, and safety are best going to be served. Sometimes, this can be inconvenient for one parent, but because the kids cannot protect themselves, the court takes it upon itself to protect them. The bright side is that if you understand this in advance, then you will have an edge when you are dealing with the other side because you’ll be seeing this process through the court’s eyes.

Regardless, once you have filed the documents, someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case will serve the document on the other party. They will have a chance to respond to the petition and they will serve you as well. The court will likely set a date where they will either order mediation or they will make a decision at that time. If you can’t agree at mediation or if the court decides it needs more info, then it is likely you would go to a trial where you can put on witnesses, provide your own testimony, and let the judge make a ruling after that. Those are less likely scenarios, but they come up on occasion.

The order is enforceable from the moment it is entered and if a party fails to abide by the order, then they are going to be held in contempt of court.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could do this on my own without a attorney?

Absolutely. Most people do it without an attorney and you can do it yourself and save some money.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer