I have a malpractice question. In 2015 my husband was Dx…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a malpractice question. In 2015 my husband was Dx with hypogonadism by his family doctor. She did not tell him of the Dx, she did not test him, she only gave him an Rx to treat his symptoms. He discovered her Dx in 2018 when he requested his medical records. Had he known of this disease back in 2015, he could have treated it in a timely manner. Hypogonadism is caused by a few things, one being Sarcoidosis (lung disease) which my husband later discovered he had and he is now in the late stage of the disease. He also has Osteopenia, due to Hypogonadism, which could have been avoided if treated early and appropriately. Can this physician be held accountable for giving my husband a Dx without even telling him about it, scheduling further testing or even referring him to a specialist to receive the proper treatment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?

Louisiana, yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
I don't understand... if she gave him a prescription and/or a treatment for the condition, how is it possible that he didn't know about it?

He went to her complaining of fatigue and low test. This is what her notes say: Reason for Visit: anxiety & testosterone levels
DX: hypogonadism & anxiety
RX: Testosterone cyp 200 mg/MI Generic for Depo-Testosterone , Cymbalta 60mg, lexepro 10mg, Klonopin. But she never told him about the hypogonadism, she just gave him an Rx. He should have known that she Dx a special condition because he should have been referred to a specialist, right?

Yes, of course someone is entitled to know what their diagnosis is. I can't speak to whether she should have referred him to a specialist or if she was qualified to care for the condition.

What if she did not care for the condition. She did not do any of the following: Doctors base a diagnosis of hypogonadism on symptoms and results of blood tests that measure testosterone levels. If tests confirm you have low testosterone, further testing can determine if a testicular disorder or a pituitary abnormality is the cause. Based on specific signs and symptoms, additional studies can pinpoint the cause. Testosterone testing also plays an important role in managing hypogonadism. This helps your doctor determine the right dosage of medication, both initially and over time. If hypogonadism occurs during adulthood, make lifestyle and dietary changes to prevent osteoporosis (which he now has at 39 years old)...Most importantly, he is stage 4 Sarcoidosis...Inflammatory disease. Certain inflammatory diseases, such as sarcoidosis, histiocytosis and tuberculosis, involve the hypothalamus and pituitary gland and can affect testosterone production, causing hypogonadism.

What you'd want to do is speak to a medical malpractice attorney and see if they would want to take the case. The very best way I know of to find an attorney would be to use the nationwide database www.martindale.com which will allow you to search by state and by specialty. It's the database that attorneys use when they themselves need an attorney (for themselves or as local counsel on cases).

I knew that already, I could have done so, however, I thought that this site was designed to help me determine if I may or may not have a case rather than to just refer me to a medical malpractice law firm for answers to my legal questions? I just paid this site to tell me that I need to talk to a malpractice lawyer? Thank you for time
.

The issue is we cannot give you a legal opinion as to your case and with medical malpractice it depends upon whether the doctor failed to meet the standard of care - but I will opt out and perhaps another attorney can provide you with the information you're looking for. At the end of the day, though, it will depend upon what a MEDICAL expert views as having met or failed to meet the standard of care - not whether an attorney feels the standard of care has been met - or not. And I say that as someone who graduated both medical and law school. You'll need to meet with an attorney - but that attorney will ask one of their medical experts to evaluate whether your case rises to the threshold of malpractice. I wish you luck.