We sustained damage to our roof during Hurricane Irma.

We sustained damage to...

We sustained damage to our roof during Hurricane Irma. Before contacting the insurance co. to file a claim we had a roof company look at the roof for an estimate. The contractor stated that he did not put a cash estimate on the contract because they would deal directly with the insurance company and would perform the work as negotiated with the insurance company (we signed). The insurance company sent us checks to cover the cost of repairs and left it up to us to get estimates. Since there was no negotiation with the insurance company and the payment for the repair will be coming from us, are we bound to this contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

We are in Florida and we did not know who to contact

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did ask the insurance claims co. but they did not respond

I am trying to attach the contract, is there another way I can send it?
3/21/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

the contract is binding as signed, but normally any payment or obligation would forward to the insurer to cover.

I am confused since the contract states it is contingent on the insurance company approving the work, however the insurance company sent the money directly to us and left it up to us to get estimates, they. They were not in contact with this roofing company

You could take the position that insurer did not approve, contingency not met, and you are free to cancel. If roofer has done any work though, they would have a claim for payment based on value of work done. If my reply is fast and acceptable, kindly reply "acceptable" tried to expedite.

The roofer did not do anywork.
Good so you can rescind on basis of contingency not met.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Are we obligated to notify the roofing company that we will not be using their services
Does the estimate from the insurance company adjuster imply a bid to the roofing company if there was no communication between the two. Thank you!
It does not.
Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
What would proper wording be to inform the roofing company that we will not use their services. Thank you again!
I would have a conversation and refer to the contingency language in the agreement.
If we should need more assistance in the future is it possible to ask for you?
but please open a new question thread when doing so.