Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

How legal are verbal agreements?. None yet. The person asked

Customer Question

How legal are verbal agreements?
JA: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Virginia
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, The person asked me if i wanted a car and I said yes. We went to Carmax in Woodbridge and he verbalized to a Sales person name Gabby and the person that actually sold him the car that he was buying the car for me. The car is in his name but im the only one authorize to drive it. He now said that I stole the care and is trying to get me locked up.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
You can not steal what you were given permission to use.
However, if the car is titled to the other person, they are entitled to legal possession, absent a written agreement giving you possession for a fee (such as a car lease).
So, while you can not arrested or charged with theft, you can be civilly sued for the return of the vehicle.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.