I just became ordained online, because my nephew would like…

I just became ordained...

I just became ordained online, because my nephew would like to have me be the officiant. What do I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I’m not sure what you mean, My nephew is getting married in February of next year, what papers do I need to file? I am a New York resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, I’m not sure what I am doing?

3/21/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law outlines who can perform a valid marriage ceremony. This includes member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained, online or otherwise, and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body or
a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs.
Certain NY counties have registration requirements for marriage officiants. So, well before the scheduled ceremony, you will want to call the county clerk for the county where the marriage is to be performed to see if you need to register, and the information they require you provide. Registration, if required, would just involve filling out their form and providing the requested ordination information. There is also a nominal fee ($15). Your church can assist with the required ordination information if you request it from them.As far as the actual ceremony, as the officiant, it is your show. You can make it as long or short as you want, with whatever speech, reading or vows you want to include.
As the officiant, you will then complete the marriage certificate and return it to the town or city clerk who issued the license within five days after the marriage. That is it. Your work is done.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Attorney
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you so much. The wedding is actually taking place in Florida, so am I correct to assume that the same rules apply?
true for Florida, but there is not a registration requirement for marriage officiants in Florida, as there is in certain NY counties.
Loren, Attorney