If someone gets pulled over and has enough evidence to be…

Customer Question
If someone gets pulled over...
If someone gets pulled over and has enough evidence to be charged with trafficking marijuana but it’s under 100grams with a scale and other selling contraband, will they be taken to jail in Ohio?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Typically, for a trafficking felony, yes in my experience he'd be brought in, booked and held until arraignment, though police may set bail that he can make. He can also end up with his car impounded as the instrumentality of a crime.

Once arraigned, it's possible however, for him to be released on his own recognizance, assuming he has no warrant history, has roots in the community, has no serious criminal history and has nothing that would indicate to the court that he'd be a flight risk if released.

The maximum possible penalty for this is only a year, so if he has no criminal history, the possibility having to do jail time is unlikely unless he fights the case all the way to trial and loses.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the police are outside of my house pulling over everyone who leaves my house, is that harassment?

Yes. I would say so, if the only reason they are being pulled over is their connection with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How should I pursue this? Call the police station
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They keep using the excuse that ppl aren’t turning there turn signals on 100 ft before the stop sign

You can file a complaint with the superiors of the officers who are stopping your visitors. You can also report it to Internal Affairs and to your state Attorney General's Office. You can sit down with a local civil rights lawyer and consult about a harassment suit, but since they are stopping your visitors rather than you, there may be an issue of legal standing to sue.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If the police obtain a search warrant of my house, can they legally open a locked safe? If not, under what circumstances can they?
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 26 days ago

It depends upon the wording within the search warrant and what they are looking for. But in general, if the warrant gives them permission to search the contents of the house for drugs, for example, they can search anywhere within the house where it would be reasonable for the contraband to be found. That would include a locked safe. They would not need any additional authority to open it and seize the contents if drugs were found.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney