I had to repair my car and didn't have enough money, my

Customer Question
I had to repair...

I had to repair my car and didn't have enough money, my friend offered to help me. He is that kind of guy friend that will do anything to get laid. So he offered to help and then later on, he text me that I don't need to pay him back. Now things have gotten sour between him and I and he is demanding that I pay back what I thought was a gift. Can he sue me for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Saving all his texts the ones where he keeps insisting I don't need to pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/21/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Response: Yes, he can sue, but he is not going to win since you have a text from him telling you not to pay, basically treating the money to you as a gift. So, if or when he files the lawsuit, you have to file an answer to tell the Court to dismiss the case because that was a gift and not a loane. Attach copies of his text messages telling you not to pay as evidence.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law