Charlottesville, VA. Roommate demands that the heat be set…

Customer Question
Charlottesville, VA Lawyer's Assistant:...

Charlottesville, VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

Roommate demands that the heat be set at 59 degrees.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the roommate taken so far?

The roommate turns the heat off

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was previously agreed to keep temp at 65 housemate refuses to honor this and actually turns heat off whenever she leaves the house

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Is the breach of your agreement causing your heating bills to go up?

No, she wants to live with the heat off. We live in an off campus house. House mate is getting hostile.

I understand. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if they failed to honor the agreement regarding the heat. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach, which colluded include even the nominal damages that result from living in a very cold apartment. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?