I paid $43,000 to a contractor for the first two phases of a…

Hi. I paid...

Hi. I paid $43,000 to a contractor for the first two phases of a home addition project. He went MIA last week, and this week it surfaced that he has paid none of his subcontracts (who are now coming after me as the property owner) and filed for Chapter 7 on Wednesday. As he didn't use my deposit for my project (since the subcontractors weren't paid) I would like to stop the bankruptcy, sue him and prove that he used my deposit for personal use or other projects, and encourage the police to bring theft by conversion charges against him. Thoughts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Sent a demand letter

3/20/2018
Michael Bradley

you can not stop the bankruptcy

you can go to the 341 meeting and question him about the fraud he committed

fraud is a defense to bankruptcy protection

I would also make a complaint to the attorney general against him

what he did is a potential crime

the form you need is below

http://ocp.ga.gov/consumer-services/filing-a-complaint

Michael Bradley
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started