Question regarding who pays the cost of an interpreter for a…

Question regarding who pays...

Question regarding who pays the cost of an interpreter for a deaf person in court. Or more specifically, at an SENE for parenting time. The petitioner has a 'free' attorney from a legal service (due to low income) and his attorney has hired two interpreters for the 4 hour SENE. The petitioner and respondent have now come to an agreement for the parenting time, but the SENE is still scheduled for tomorrow. It is understood there will likely be a penalty fee for both parties to pay the SENE evaluators, but the interpreters are a different story. Their standard is $70 an hour, times 8 hours (2 for 4 hours each) and are requiring the $560 regardless. So who is responsible to pay them? The main question is can the petitioner legally request the respondent to pay half?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes, they already had the initial case management conference where it was decided/agreed to do the SENE, but the judge specifically told the petitioner that he was responsible to pay for interpreters.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think the basics are there! I hope! :)

3/20/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The county pays. Interpreter invoices are paid through Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB). The party which needs the interpreter has to file a motion asking the Court to appoint one and pay for them, in most cases.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's what we originally thought, but because the SENE is an optional mediation way to avoid a trial, basically a voluntary option that the court strongly encourages to help avoid court time and costs, the judge specifically told them at the initial case management conference that the petitioner is responsible to pay at the SENE. Our main question, because we are the respondent, is whether the petitioner's attorney can legally request that respondent pay half? It seems to us that since his attorney took his case on, fully knowing of his disability, and being the one who asked the judge the payment question, the attorney has no legal right to even ask for this.

I understand. IF SO, then the party that needs the interpreter pays. It is not split. Or, should not be, but really the Judge has discretion (especially if it is a family case).

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your time and insight.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law