In 2016 Comcast disconnected my service while I was not

In 2016 Comcast disconnected...

In 2016 Comcast disconnected my service while I was not home , a family member let them in to do so , I owed a little over a months payment , in disconnecting service they took a modem that I had purchased from a retailer that was my own personal modem , I have receipts and paperwork proving this , I called Comcast several times trying to get them to return the modem , they would not return the modem , I told them I would gladly pay what I owed if they returned the modem or took the cost of the modem off my bill , they did neither and turned the account over to collections so now for about a year and a half this has been on my credit report , what can I or should I do , thanks for the help

Lawyer's Assistant: Emailing***@******.*** is the best way to reach customer service.

Any advice would be appreciated , Thanks , Tim

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I called Local Comcast several times right away to get modem back and they didn't do anything so then I called Comcast HQ and got a run around

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't tried anything for awhile and just feel like it's not right that they should be screwing with my credit after taking something that belongs to me

3/20/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
What are my options or do I have any, Tim
Phone call session started

Calling now.

It seems like there is a cause of action that you may have against this debt collection company. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.

Also,

One of the things that many people don’t know is that there is something called the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA was developed by Congress to require credit reporting agencies to report only accurate information regarding consumers. Because our credit reports help determine whether we can lease an apartment, buy a car, or purchase a home, the FCRA is there to help make sure that we’re judged only on accurate information and not falsities.

The bright side is that there is a remedy for those who have incorrect information on their credit report. You can request with the credit reporting agencies that they investigate the incorrect information and then remove the information if they cannot verify that it is accurate. If the information stays on, then you could potentially sue the credit reporting agencies for damages that result (e.g. higher interest rates, loan denials, etc.) If you click here, you can download a very good template for only $10 that outlines the law regarding the FCRA and the best part is that you only have to download it once and you can make as many copies as you want. Mail those into the credit reporting agencies and they will work on the investigation for you. How else can I help you today?