I received a phone call o/a 26 Feb 2018 by someone (male)

I received a phone...

I received a phone call o/a 26 Feb 2018 by someone (male) claiming to be a deputy assistant (?) investigator for the Virginia Department of State. I usually do not answer calls from numbers I do not recognize, but this time I did. The individual identified himself as Patrick M. Shannahan and stated he was calling to notify me that I was a second place winner in some sweepstakes or other and that funds in the form of a check in the amount of $750,000 was waiting to be delivered to me as soon as I paid a handling charge of $1581.00 by MoneyGram to a "bonded trusted agent". I was stupid enough to actually pay it. I was told some three days later that the money had been received and that my check for the $750K was at the airport in Tucson, AZ. But to have it delivered to me by FedEx, I initially needed to pay a fee for taxes in the amount of approx. $34,000. A couple of days later, that was reduced to $17,250 and after some haggling that was reduced by $8,000. I paid $975 and still no check to me. To make an even longer story short, I have not sent any further monies. In addition, there is some other individual who claims to be James P. Kennedy, a US Attorney for the western region of New York who had been assigned this case. The name of the company who purportedly awarded the $750K is National Sweepstakes Company, owned by David Eidman and wife Marge (?) Eidman (listed as President).

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Is this a scam, as I suspect, and am I out of luck recouping any of my money. I am a resident of Surprise, Arizona.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that if he requests further info, I may be reached at(###) ###-####and my name is*****

3/20/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you online with me?

How much have you sent them? Where was it sent?

Loren, Attorney
Phone call session started