In Texas: We hired a flooring company in September, to buy…

In Texas: We hired a...
In Texas: We hired a flooring company in September, to buy and install new floors. We were not happy with their work and they have been back out 4 times to try and get the floor right. The last time they came out, they completely took up the entire floor to completely redo it, recycling some material that they felt they could salvage. We felt the work was still substandard and were concerned about the integrity of the flooring, so we hired a certified flooring inspector. The report from the inspector concluded that there are multiple areas that are outside of any tolerances for acceptable flooring and that the only remedy is "the floor has to be totally removed, the subfloor properly leveled, install the underlayment, and re-install the floor". The flooring company has offered to come back out to completely redo the floor again, however, we have lost confidence in their ability to complete the job. We have already paid them a deposit, withholding the remainder until the job is complete. Note: The flooring company forgot to get a signed contract for the job. Question: Would it be reasonable to expect we could get our deposit back in small claims court if we wanted another company to complete the job? Could they successfully get a lien on our house if we refuse to complete the job through them?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Of course, Thank you for the response

Thanks so much for your patience.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. In your case, you could recover the difference in the cost to repair the floor and what they have been paid, but did not earn There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

If you took it to small claims, it is probable that you could get your deposit back, but it is likely the court is only going to give you back the overage of what you paid. For example, if you gave them $5,000 when they only did $2,000 worth of work, you'd get that difference

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the certified inspector determined that the flooring needs to be completely redone due to error installation and prep, does this mean that the overage situation would still apply? How do they determine the value of how much work they did for the overage? Also, if we did not pay the remainder, would they be able to successfully file a lien without a contract in Texas?

You may need to find an independent flooring company to determine the value of the work that they have done. If a party breaches a contract, the other party's obligation is cut off and if they don't do any additional work, they won't be able to file a lien.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We DID hire an independent flooring company that wrote a formal report that states the flooring needs to be completely redone. Would this report be acceptable to determine that NO value was provided?

Gotcha. Yes. If you have that, then that will be helpful. If you were to take it to court, the court will look at it to determine what the reasonable value of the work was. It's possible that the court may not consider it only because it's just the opinion of one place, so you may need to request that the flooring expert come to court with you if you file a small claims action to act as a witness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have heard that Texas is a state where a contract is required to file a lein. Could anything satisfy this requirement outside of a formal contract, like emails, phone calls, quotes, deposits?

Yes, they could attempt to file a lien and provide documentation like emails and phone calls to prove that there was a contract; however, they can't file a lien based on work they haven't done. If they've been paid up to this point, then a court won't approve a lien. It's for contractors that have done work, but haven't been paid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The flooring company said "Texas is a right to work state" meaning they should be given as many tries as needed to complete the work. Is this true? This would represent a 5th time to retry this project since September. We feel this is causing unreasonable disruption to our lives.

That's not true. It seems as if they're feeding you misinformation. The "right to work" issue means that employers can terminate employees at any time for any reason, but that is totally irrelevant in this case since there is no employment relationship here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will the small claims court consider reimbursing us for expenses such as the flooring inspector, the incoveniences that resulted from us having to box up the house 4 times, time off work, etc?

Yes. Those are damages that you can request. The court may not agree that those are reasonable damages at all, but those are things that you can and should request.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The flooring company has offered the following: 1: They will completely redo the floor (again) and charge for any additional flooring prep work. We would owe the balance. 2: We can all walk away and they can keep the deposit. Question: Is there a risk or can we expect a more favorable outcome in small claims court?

I'm never a fan of going to court to be honest; however, I think if they did such a terrible job and if they're not willing to negotiate, it is going to be your best recourse to go to court. It's a judgment call, but in this case, you would be better off in court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last 2 questions promise:The flooring company wants us to share the independent Flooring Inspection report we paid for. Is there any risk in sharing this with them?If we do decide to go to court, should we discontinue all further communication with them or let them know, how do we let them know?

No problem.

1. I don't think there's any harm. Just save a copy.

2. I would discontinue communication if you decide to sue unless it's only specifically regarding settlement.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer