I was married to a disabled veteran for 26 years. We

I was married to...

I was married to a disabled veteran for 26 years. We divorced with a spousal agreement for him to pay me for the rest of my life. As I am on disability. He passed away I filled for his survivors benefits. I was denied but told I could appeal. Do I have a case?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have lost everything now because of their decision I paid for his funeral and they reimbursed $2000. I have had to move in with my children first time in my life.

3/20/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean "do I have a case"? I mean, that depends on the facts...can you provide some?

For example, what benefit are you referring to? Is this SBP (survivor benefit plan)? DIC (Dependents Indemnity Compensation)? Some other benefit?

Any benefit that would give me income

What benefit was denied??

I can't afford to switch to talk. I was denied survivors benefits
Because we were divorced
We divorced because of his ptsd but lived together. We were legally married26 yrs

Thank you

What do you mean "survivors benefits"? Was your ex a retired servicemember (drawing military retired pay)?

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

I sent the offer...can you see it? If so please accept so I can provide my #

P. Simmons, Attorney