When subscribing witnesses are deceased can a will be

Customer Question
When subscribing witnesses are...

When subscribing witnesses are deceased can a will be probated in ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death certificates

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes notice of hearing was published and no one contested

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If the attestation clause is in proper form and signed under penalty of perjury, simply filing the original will in court will suffice, as long as the will is not contested.

If the will is contested or has no attestation clause, the law does provide ways to have your will properly admitted.

If the attestation clause is not in proper form or has not been signed under penalty of perjury, the heirs may still be able to "prove up" your will. They can do so by finding people to testify who recognize the handwriting and the handwriting of one of the witnesses. Another valid method is to have one person testify as to the authenticity of the testator's handwriting and someone else, perhaps a secretary or even a lawyer who was present at the time, describe the signing under oath.

So, yes, the will can be admitted to probate if the witnesses are deceased.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?

Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.