The holder of my mortgage (a friend) has voluntarily

Customer Question
The holder of my...

The holder of my mortgage (a friend) has voluntarily suggested that he might lower our interest rate from 4% to 3% or 3 1/2 % Interest. What would we need to do? Jim Petersen ***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in North Carolina and they are in Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. They just mentioned it a few minutes ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. We want to keep this as simple.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You would have to sign a new promissory note stating the terms of the modified loan, and your friend would have to mark the existing promissory note, "paid in full."

Also, a new mortgage (or more typically, a deed of trust) would have to be recorded with the county to secure the new note to your property -- and the existing deed of trust would have to be "reconveyed" (cancelled).

Although you may want to make this transaction easy and straightforward, you will almost certain need the assistance of a closing attorney to handle the paperwork -- as any error could function to either invalidate the loan and mortgage entirely, or retain the lender's rights in the previous loan or mortgage.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!