It is my understanding that a S-Corp can not have a

Hello! It is my understanding...
Hello! It is my understanding that a S-Corp can not have a non-resident alien shareholder. Is this correct? Second, regardless of the previous answer can a SMLLC (the single member being non-resident alien) elect S-Corp taxation?
3/20/2018
Loren, Attorney

1. Correct. Under United States tax law, an S corporation generally cannot have a “nonresident alien as a shareholder.” IRC § 1361(b)(1)(C).

2. The owner of an SMLLC can elect to have the business taxed as either a traditional C corporation or as an S corporation.

As the owner of an SMLLC classified as an S corporation you are not considered a self-employed individual and are not subject to federal self employment tax.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney