Question about OVI in Ohio. Do you deal with OVI's. My case…

Question about OVI in...

Question about OVI in Ohio. Do you deal with OVI's. My case is pretty bad

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ohio lawyer about this?

They set me up with a public defender.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. 2nd OVI within 6 years. 3 priors more than 20 years ago

3/20/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you have a particular question in regards ***** ***** case that I can help with?

W
Will this be considered my second since the three priors. We're. More than 20 years ago?

Thanks, ***** ***** just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you.

Yes, this would be counted as a 2nd OVI.

The "lookback period" for OVIs in Ohio used to be 6 years, but with recent changes last year through Annie's Law, that lookback period extended to 10 years.

However since your prior OVI spanned further back than that, this will just be counted as your 2nd.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

BAC was .19. Will they take that into affect during sentencing and what is the usual sentence in Ohio?

Yes, there is slightly harsher sentencing for a BAC of .17 and higher.

The sentencing guidelines for a 2nd OVI with a BAC over .17 is as follows:

Minimum sentence of 20 days in jail, maximum sentence of 6 months in jail.

Minimum fine $525, maximum fine $1625.

Mandatory alcohol and drug assessment.

License suspension of 1 year.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!