I owed a credit card and due to personal issues did not

Customer Question
I owed a credit...

I owed a credit card and due to personal issues did not continue to make timely payments resulting in a collections company taking over. They contacted me back in November for a settlement (unbeknown to me) agreement, I stated I could pay the $400 offered for that next payment and continue to make payments monthly, however did not realize I was agreeing to make $400 payments thereafter as well. I made the $400payment in Dec, $300 in Jan and then on Mar 5th made another $400 payment

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We were contacted back in Noveber 2017 is that what you are asking?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Today I contacted them to find out the balance because it was possible we could finish paying off this debt sooner but now they have stated that agreement no longer stands because we made that $300 payment as oppose to $400 in January'

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Trista Johnson, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Trista Johnson

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you resolve this dispute with the collections agency. I know how stressful it can be to deal with collectors.

I need a little bit more information to understand your goals - it sounds like you want to pay off the debt but are uncertain as to the agreed upon total amount due and what the repayment terms are to finish repayment. Did you ever receive anything from the collections agency about the settlement or repayment plan? Any settlement should be in writing.