I am considering taking a Business to small claims court. I…

I am considering taking...

I am considering taking a Business to small claims court. I purchased a pool table from them and after 3 months of failing to deliver my table with many lies about production, delivery, etc. they delivered the incorrect table. I have a document from the company in writing and signed that if my table was not delivered by 3-16 that i would be refunded and could keep another free table. They did deliver a table on 3-16, but again it was the wrong table. Is this something I should take to court?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Informed him i was considering taking him to small claims court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just curious if i have a solid case or if i need to hire lawyer for small claims court

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

ok, thanks.

This sounds like a classic breach of contract. They delivered a table, but not the one promised in the contract.

If the claim does not exceed $4000, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Not sure if this would be over $4,000. They would owe me refund of $2700 plus a free table valued at around the same amount or probably more if they use full retail amount.Does that mean I need to take different approach?

If the claim exceeds $4000 then you would either need to waive the excees damage or bring the action in the regular courts.

Would the $2,700 refund count since I already paid that? So total would be $2,700 plus the table, which would be over the $4,000

Yes, if that was the agreement.

ok, thanks. So i guess i need to go to regular court if i want refund and free table.

Correct.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney