If I'm sitting my vehicle and the repo truck hooked up then…

Customer Question
If I'm sitting my...

If I'm sitting my vehicle and the repo truck hooked up then relized I was in it can he still keep

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm checking legality of the repossession. All my work tools in truck. they got early am today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I have right to get my stuff back

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, if you fall behind on your payments, a lender is allowed to repossess the vehicle, even if you are still in the vehicle. The law allows for you to obtain personal items from the vehicle as those are not subject to repossession, but these are things like purse, coin change, and documents in the glove box.

You may have a separate cause of action not related to the vehicle if you believe they know you were in the vehicle.

False imprisonment occurs when a person is confined to a bounded area. In a suit for false imprisonment, the damages award may include compensation for loss of earnings while imprisoned, for bodily and mental suffering caused by the imprisonment, and for expenses incurred in securing discharge from restraint including a reasonable attorney fees.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter if you suffered any harm. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

does the repossesion cover my tools

No. If you have tools in the vehicle, then the impound lot is required to give them back to you. Because you didn't get a loan for your tools, you can recover those.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?