I took my car to Mercedes for oil change was given a loaner.

Customer Question
I took my car...

I took my car to Mercedes for oil change was given a loaner. I ended up getti.g arrested car was impounded. I guess damage occurred at impound lot I we t to pick up my car and they're telling me I ha e yo pay the $1700 storage fees from impound even though they were notified immediately and the police had a hold on loaner for 50 days. They're telling me that i cannot get my purse and other personal property out of the loaner now and that I cannot get my car out until I pay them the $1700 impound fee that occurred because the police held for investigation. They do t provide me with the paper from tow yard showing condition they gave as when it was towed it was in perfect condotiin. I'm left without a car and my purse. They have the insurance info for the $8000 in damage they're claiming occurred but don't provide the info on what those damages were. I need to know my rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Colorado and it was impounded on Dec 28th car was taken off police hold on Feb 18th

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I went in person and he just told me I owed him 1700 for the impound fees he,paid and until I paid that I could not get my purse and clothing out of the loaner and I could not get my car that got oil changed back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I have been consistently emailedthos manager asking for copies of paperwork stating he can hold my property and where it says he can hold my car as collateral until impound fees are paid and he responded once when I had even asked him to set up payments,on the $1700] and all he said was no he will not take,payments but has,never said anything about sending me copies of proof of damage and the original paper from t

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

When car was towed

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
I've been waiting for hours now for a response can you please let me know something?
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

While he can hold your car for the impound fees, he cannot keep your personal property, like your purse, so he needs to turn that over and if he refuses you need to ask the police for assistance. If the police will not assist, then you have a right to sue the lot owner for the return of your personal property.

I am afraid the car is another story, if you were arrested and the car impounded, loaner or not, you are liable for the impound and will have to pay for release of the car. The lot is liable for any damage done the car and as such you would be able to sue them for the damage they caused, since you have proof the car was not damaged when they took it from you. If they will not pay for the damage, you can sue them for that as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.