I purchased a vehicle from an individual and when I went to…

I purchased a vehicle...

I purchased a vehicle from an individual and when I went to transfer the title I discovered he had changed out the odometer cluster. The car had over 200,000 miles on it but he sold it as 82,000 miles. The police are investigating the case but I am trying to find out what to do to get my money back.

Lawyer's Assistant: You can process your own refund by going to the Order History page and clicking on the "How do I get a refund" link below the amount paid for your question.

I'm trying to find legal assistance for an odometer fraud case

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Illinois End of February

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I filed complaints with the Secretary of State Police and the local police department.

3/20/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. I recommend that you sue the seller to recover damages for fraud and civil theft. You can send a demand letter before you file suit to see if the seller will "do the right thing" and refund you your money. You have already done all the criminal and administrative remedies that I would recommend.

I would just sue him myself? Take him to court without an attorney? I have tried to find an attorney that handles this sort of case but it appears that they only work with cases involving dealerships. They also usually refer me to the Attorney General's office but they don't help with anything like that either. How would I go about figuring out how to actually even do this?

The attorney general's office handles its own investigations. It will not recover funds for you directly. Yes, you can sue him yourself.

How much did you pay for the car? What county does the seller live in? I recommend suing him where he lives. If you provide this information, I will obtain some more information for you to file suit.

I paid $3000 for the car. He lives in Kane County. I live in Cook County.

You will file the case in small claims court in Kane County, IL. Here is the small claims complaint form for you to use:

http://www.cic.co.kane.il.us/eForms/P2-SC-002-E.pdf

The court clerk has a list of free forms available for your use. You can use the summons form for serving the seller as the defendant in your case. Once you have the forms completed, take them to the clerk's office in Kane County to file your complaint. Here's the forms list:

http://www.cic.co.kane.il.us/Pages/Forms.aspx

Lori
Lori, Attorney