I was married in Gatlinburg TN in 2000. Getting divorced…

Customer Question
I was married in...

I was married in Gatlinburg TN in 2000. Getting divorced now. I had my papers drawn up. Do I file them in AL or in TN

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in AL now. He lives in Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have my papers. He has signed them, gotten them notarized and is sending them to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need to know where I have to file the papers.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you live in AL, then you would need to file for the divorce in AL. Since the defendant is a non-resident of Alabama, you must be a resident of Alabama for at least 6 months and you can file the divorce in AL. If he agrees to the divorce, then you should have no issue sending him the petition for divorce and him accepting. If he refuses to cooperate, you would need to use a process server in Canada to serve him the suit and start the process.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.