I have a legal question. As my mom’s only heir, will I be…

I have a legal question...
I have a legal question. As my mom’s only heir, will I be held liable for any debts she leaves behind upon her death?
3/20/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

It depends on the debt.

If your name is ***** ***** the account, then you are not liable to repay that outstanding debt.

For example, if there is credit card debt or another unpaid loan, but your name was not on the credit card account or loan documents, then no you are not legally liable.

The same is true in the opposite, if your name is on the credit card account or loan, then yes you could be found liable for the remaining money owed.

If your mom passes away and leaves debts behind, then debt collectors can try to collect repayment through her estate in probate court.

It is therefore important that your mom take steps to protect her assets and funds from debt collectors in the event of her passing. There are several ways to do this, depending on the type of asset or property, so that ownership passes directly to you, and avoids probate court altogether, protecting the asset from debt collectors.

She can meet with a wills/ estate planning lawyer to discuss this further, and get these protections put in place.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones