Do I need to have my will probated? Can I be the executor,

Do I need to have...
Do I need to have my will probated? Can I be the executor, administrator of the will? I live in Arlington, Virginia. OR do I even need an official, Can I do it?
3/20/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

Please allow me a few minutes to consider your question. If I can assist I will provide an answer. Otherwise, I will reopen the question for others to assist.
Thanks for using Justanswer!

Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

This is your own will?

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE OUR OWN WILLS. I AM READING FROM HIS. ALL COMES TO ME UPON HIS DEATH.

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, you can be named the executor of your husband's will (and he can be yours in your will).

For any assets in your husband's name only, which did not have a named beneficiary, you would need to go through probate to transfer the ownership from his estate to you.

Accounts or insurance policies with a named beneficiary, or held in joint tenancy with right of survivorship, do not need to go through probate. They pass automatically, outside of probate.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney