I was in a relationship with someone and let them borrow my…

I was in a...

I was in a relationship with someone and let them borrow my property but now they are refusing to give it back. How do I go about getting it back legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have offered to send money for him to send it back and offered to send whatever money he spent on fixing it. It is a pool table light and he bought a light for it which I said I would cover the cost

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's about it. I would let it go but my father gave it to me.

3/20/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. I recommend a demand letter to him - demanding that he return the item to you (or allow you to pick it up) within 5 days. Otherwise, if he refuses or fails to response, you will have no choice but to file suit to have possession returned to you and to recover money damages against him for conversion and civil theft of the item.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
Great! How would I go about getting a demand letter done? Can I do that myself or is it better going through a lawyer and if so how much does it cost?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started