If I am no longer represented can I call opposing council?

Customer Question
If I am no...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

350K in lawyer fees and no result

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just can I call opposing council mysef

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok thank you very much
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Have you been entered on the record as being pro se?

If so, then yes you can call opposing counsel directly and they are required to speak with you concerning your case.

If not, then you need to file a motion with the court first, removing your prior attorney as counsel of record, and appointing yourself as pro se.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I see that you requested a phone call, and I'm happy to speak with you over the phone, but it appears there was an issue with processing payment for it.

You can contact customer support and they'll be able to help you get this resolved, so that we can get connected. You can reach a customer support agent here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

how do I file that?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

It's a motion that you would draft stating that your prior attorney is no longer the attorney of record, and that you will be representing yourself pro se.

You then file that motion at the clerk of courts office at the courthouse where your case is being heard.

Once that change of counsel is noted in court, you will officially be entered as pro se, and can then make calls, have discussions, and enter negotiations with opposing counsel.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!