I need my Social Security card in order to obtain a state of…

Customer Question
I need my Social...

I need my Social Security card in order to obtain a state of Illinois ID card. But I'm 83 and it will be hard to get to a Social Security office to get my replacement card.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I can give you my SSN.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will I have to wait long?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have your birth certificate? A passport? Some health insurance card other than Medicare card? Some identification proving your citizenship and age?

I have all of those: passport, birth certificate, helth insurance card.

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to say that since you do not have a driver's license, they will not let you get a replacement card online from SSA, you have to go in person with the documentation above and they will order a SS Card replacement for you.

However, you do have all the documentation you need to go to the SSA office to get one. I know this may be difficult for you, but many times social services or the local senior citizen center will assist you with getting there and getting the card issued. I am sorry, but SS requires you go to the office with the information to prove identity and prevent someone from stealing your identity.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.