My aunt died intestate her son (only heir) is a convicted…

My aunt died intestate...

My aunt died intestate her son (only heir) is a convicted felon and drug addict. His wife has terminal cancer and they have two daughters aged 10 and 13. They have received foreclosure notice effective May 31, 2018 and will never be able to get caught up on taxes. I am debating where to start probate on behalf of the "grandchildren". The son also has an active warrant and won't go to court. Is this something worth pursuing and might I be able to do this? I'd like to be able to sell the home on the girls' behalf before they lose it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Also, we live in Washington State.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I'm not sure about the warrant, but he is in and out of jail and I believe when their mother dies, he will lose the children.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, there is a mother-in-law home on the property where my aunt lives and she has living rights, but I think she would agree to sell if she could receive 1/3 of the proceeds.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Is the estate solvent?

I believe so.
absolutely. Real estate worth approx $500,000.
I just want to know if it is worth pursuing on their behalf. If I read the WA statute right, my cousin can't proceed as administrator as a convicted felon. I believe I would need to give him notice, but I don't think he would appear in court since he has and would probably have an outstanding warrant.

Thank you for the additional information.

To commence probate you need to file a petition in the probate court for the county where you aunt was residing when she died.

Since your aunt died intestate her children will share the net estate. They do not need to appear to receive their shares.

But can the estate bypass the one child and go to the grandchildren if the child doesn't show up to court or is shown to be a real deadbeat???

Only if the child disclaims their inheritance will it bypass them. Then it would go to their heirs.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney