What are the laws in Texas concerning civilians having body…

What are the laws...

What are the laws in Texas concerning civilians having body armor?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No, just curious what the law is in case I decide to buy some.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Asked just answers. : -)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/20/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Body armor is discussed in one place in the United States Code: 18 U.S.C. § 931. Section 931 contains only one prohibition on the purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor. The law states that anyone who has been convicted of a violent felony (or its state equivalent) cannot purchase, own, or possess body armor. The law then carves out an exception:

1. If the defendant has written certification that it is necessary for the safe performance of lawful business activity and
  2. The use and possession of the defendant are limited to the business activity

This means that if you are not a felon convicted of a violent crime (or if you are but fit into the exception), it is legal under the federal law to purchase, own, and possess body armor.

Texas law is basically the same as federal law.

The purchase, ownership, and possession of body armor generally is legal in Texas. However, Texas Penal Code § 46.041 prohibits the possession of body armor by anyone convicted of a felony (violent or non-violent).

To recap, if you’re a convicted felon, it’s illegal under state law to possess body armor. If you were convicted of a violent felony, it’s illegal to purchase, own, or possess body armor under federal law. If none of the above apply to you, then you are within your rights to possess whatever body armor you so choose.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
You are very welcome. Thanks for using JA.
Loren, Attorney