I am the sole inheritor of my sister's estate. My sister was…

I am the sole...

I am the sole inheritor of my sister's estate. My sister was a ward of the county at the time of her demise. The appointed attorney has submitted closing papers to the court. The papers are confusing to me, I have hired a forensic account accountant to make sense of them to me. A date has not been set to close. Will I need an attorney at the closing?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas, Dallas County.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have cleared the probate process. I am anxious because the attorney assured me that the close would only take a week. Thus far it has been seven months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are some trust issues.

3/20/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

My sympathies for your loss.

Texas requires that the will be submitted for probate within 4 years of death; other than that there is no set time frame by which probate must be completed, though the minimum time frame is 30 days, and the average probate takes 6-8 months if there are no complications.

Here is the guide on the probate process:

http://www.tyla.org/tyla/assets/File/38668TexasProbatePassportWebReady.pdf

The personal representative will file a closing notice/report pursuant to codes 405.005, 006 and pursuant to .007 they have 30 days to object: please see:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/ES/htm/ES.405.htm

So some people will hire an attorney to review the will/accounts to ensure the numbers add up and that the distributions were pursuant to the law.

The personal representative is a fiduciary so if they act contrary to the best interests of the estate, the heirs may sue for breach.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer