Someone I used to sleep with, who was married at the time,

Someone I used to...

Someone I used to sleep with, who was married at the time, apparently took secretive photos of us and made videos of us. This was over 4 years ago. Now his wife is sending the pictures to me and my fiancee and making life miserable. What can I do about it if anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Louisiana, they are in Nevada.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet. I haven't even responded to her or him when they send the pictures.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I had no idea he was taking photos of me or making videos. I've apologized to the wife, but she still intends to try and ruin my reputation and my life.

3/20/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Something like this is prosecutable under your state's revenge porn statute. You can go to the police and report her for publishing these videos. You can also report your ex for having taken the photos of you without your knowledge and permission. That too would be a criminal offense.

You could also sue both your ex and his wife for what he did/what she is doing, so it all depends on how you best want to handle it.

You may want to talk to a local civil lawyer and have him send her a cease and desist letter first. Essentially, that puts her on notice that you object to what she's doing and want it stopped or you will exercise your legal remedies. But one way or the other, you can take action to stop her behavior.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney