I live in Dallastown, PA. I purchased a vintage motorhome in…

I live in Dallastown...

I live in Dallastown, PA. I purchased a vintage motorhome in February of 2017. In July I hired a metal fabricator/motorhome restorer to complete some preventative maintenance to ensure the MH would last another 20 to 30 years. It involved adding/replacing roof supports. In the course of his work, the roof was removed. He did not exercise proper care and did not cover the camper during a major rain storm. As a result the camper sustained a considerable amount of damage. He's willing, (I have in writing) to do whatever it takes to get it to the condition it was in why I hired him. The date of loss was 4 August 2017. It has now been almost 9 months and the camper is still not ready. Some work has been done - but very little. The roof is yet to be completed. I paid $3500 for the camper, the Kelly Blue Book is about $4500. These units are very difficult to locate and go for as much as $30K. Mine was in excellent condition. I spent 3 years looking for the correct example. I'm not looking to profit from his mistake, I just want the camper returned to the condition it was in when I left it with him. He's offered me $1800 to walk away. I am willing to now got to court to get the work completed or a financial settlement so that I can take the unit elsewhere. It is not drivable in its current condition(without a roof - just a tarp). I have it in writing that he's willing to spend at least $5000 to get it back into original condition. The camper has only 37K verified miles. I prepaid $1300 for materials.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

This is in Pennsylvania - Dallastown. The unit is from 1986. It was in excellent - not mint - condition. As I stated these are very difficult to find as they haven't been manufactured since 1994.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have been in contact with him, visited frequently, checked up on the progress. Most every contact is precipitated by text messages, which I have saved. I've been very patient with him and allowed his excuses. He states that the weather prevents him from working on it, he has to bring in other jobs to pay for my damage, etc. He also states that his insurance company places a value at $1800 for the camper. Maybe in the condition it is currently in but not the condition in which I took it to him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will take about $5000 to return it to the condition it was in. The Kelly Blue Book is between $4500 - $5000. These frequently go for $9K up to $30K. I was fortunate to find the one that I did - it took 3 years of looking. I have patiently waited and given this business every opportunity to do as they said they would. I just want to be made whole.

3/20/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can sue him to recover the money required to fix this?

P. Simmons, Attorney
As I stated in my above remarks, I just want to be made whole. I spent 3 years looking for the right unit. It was in excellent condition physically and mechanically. The going price for these is in the $9K to $30K range. I just want the business to do as they said they would, which I have copies of all their communications. I also have pics from before, during and after.
Phone call session started