My boyfriend took my name off a car title that had both our…

My boyfriend took my...

My boyfriend took my name off a car title that had both our names on it. He says it is his now. The loan and payments for the car were in my name only. Can he just take it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

G​ood morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today? How did he remove your name form the title? Did he forge your signature?

No. He just went up to the DMV and they changed it.
The title had my name or his name listed.

Is your name on any other documents?

The loan and payment all came out of my checking account. He was not on the loan.

At the purchase you should have been listed on the title and the registration. Do you have copies of the old documents?

I do.

Was he listed on the old title or registration?

When I finished paying off the car and got the title I put his name on it also. Everything prior was in my name only.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In order to re-title the car in his name only he would have to have forged your signature on the title transfer documents which were submitted.

North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT). You should bring all of your original documents to your local North Dakota Department of Transportation office and explain to them that he forged the title transfer documents and illegally registered the car in his name. They will look into the forgery and could put a hold on the title and reverse the transfer. This would depend on what documents you have and what he presented. If they refuse to place a hold on the title or reverse, then you would need to file an action in the North Dakota district court to obtain title legally in your name. The court will have to issue and order transferring the title back to your name. Here is a link to a website which can guide you i filing that action.

http://www.ndcourts.gov/ndlshc/forms/pdf/Petitioning%20to%20Award%20Title%20to%20Vehicle.pdf

However, first go into the DO office and ask then to change the title based upon the fraud.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

it does. Thank you.

You're welcome. Please don't forget to rate the question.

KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer