We have hired a local individual to build a pipe fence

We have hired a...

We have hired a local individual to build a pipe fence around our rural property. He represented himself as a company (Alpha Omega) and provided a quote for the work and a definitive timeline of 10 days for completion of the work. We paid 50% as a down payment and a further 10% at the end of the first week. We are now 3 weeks into the job with an estimated 3 weeks plus to complete the work. In addition, the work to date has been of poor quality and we have discovered that the pipe does not meet the specifications he originally provided. We have asked and documented a number of times to correct the deficiencies and requested commitments dates without success. We are wanting to fire him due to the above and want to make sure we are not open to any legal ramifications.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have stopped the work as we have now found out he really does not have any registrered or licensed company, he simply put the name on a piece of paper. He also does not have any type of insurance to cover the work activities.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have also photographed the problems and sent numerous texts messages to confirm our verbal discussions

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It sounds like your contract was oral and not a written contract. Is that correct? Also, after you told the contractor to cease doing work, what is the contractor saying to you in response?

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have a written set of instructions given and agreed and we also have a written quote that was agreed to via email. The contractor is now asking for additional monies. i have calculated the amount of work done, the remaining unfinished work and services not yet provided which is less than the amount of money we have already paid to him. We have also obtained quotes from another contractor for the cost to correct and complete the work.
Phone call session started
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney