I am a single mom with child. Can i legally be evicted in…

Customer Question
I am a...

I am a single mom with child. Can i legally be evicted in the state of Florida. If so how log does it take?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in FL family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately yes, if you have breached your lease then you can be evicted.

The law unfortunately does not offer any added protections for parents or single parents.

Was there a written lease agreement?

Your landlord does need to follow the proper eviction laws and obtain an eviction order before you can be legally forced to move out.

Part of the eviction process is a hearing, which you would be served notice of as well. At the hearing, you can make a defense to the judge, explain your situation, and ask for some added time to secure a new residence.

Typically a judge will give 30 days in which time you must move out, but the judge does have the discretion to grant a longer period of time in special circumstances, such as 60 - 90 days.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!