This woman got arrested for driving dui, drugs, suspended…

Customer Question
This woman got arrested...

This woman got arrested for driving dui , drugs, suspended drivers license, leaving crime scene. Her dog got take. To the West Memphis at pound. She called my brother to get the dog out of the pound because they were going to kill it. He paid to get the dog and it was released to him. He brought the sick dog to me and told me to keep it until the jailed person could get it back. She left town and I took the dog to the vet and micro chipped it in my name. I want to adopt the dog as she is homeless and the West Memphis pound says the dog legally belongs to the person who it was released to for three days. He gave the dog to me and I want to keep it. I have vet bills .... what do I need to do to legally keep this dog save and protected in my home

Lawyer's Assistant: Does he have any upcoming court dates on the DUI charges?

Yes she does March 26 I and she wants to extend it to April 15th

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a TN lawyer about this yet?

My brother went to an attorney on Friday and hand deliver a letter that stated for me to take the poor dog to this vet and leave it . That was my warning . He signed the jail birds name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My rights to this poor dog! The West Memphis pound said the released person has no rights to the dog my brother had the dog out of the pound and took it straight to me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

S​ince you're stating that you were told that the dog legally belongs to the person who withdrew it from the pound, you'd want to put together an agreement/contract between you and your brother in which it is made clear that you are purchasing and/or obtaining the dog from your brother. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Y brother is airing me for the dog I doubt he will sign and agreement . I live in olive branch ms. Is there a dog attorney in olive branch ms or Memphis ten who knows dog ownership law?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is the one who signed the jailed persons name to the letter. And demanded surrender of this dog. Who can help meeee this dog is in great danger

You can go to www.martindale.com which is a huge database of attorneys.

It'll allow you to search by state and by specialty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I get custody of this dog in my possession? The director in Arkansas said he has to keep the dog for 3 days after it is released. When he got the dog he took it stratigraphy to me. Now who owns this dog? I have had the dog since Feb 26th and had its shots and nuertered and chipped.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He does not want the dog he just wants to get it away from me as I have taken passion of the dog of the poor dogs sake
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please help me please

Give me just a minute to respond.

What you COULD do is file a small claims court action for the dog - to essentially ask the court to state that since you have been caring for this dog exclusively and the person that signed for the dog did nothing that the dog should be transferred to you. I'm not going to lie to you, it is by no means an easy argument to win.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need to take my brother to small claims court? Do you know of an attorney in north missiippi who would take this case? I am willing to go to court this dog needs a drug free safe home

With small claims court you wouldn't need an attorney. Small claims court is meant to be done without an attorney (although some small claims courts do allow attorneys). It's cheap and easy for an unrepresented litigant to do.
Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

T​hat's really the only way I see of doing it if your brother refuses to sign the dog over to you - to convince a court to permit it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is not speaking to ME and wants the dog to give away again he will not sign the dog over to me he hates me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I go to small claims court??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In olive branch ms???

Yes, you'd go to the small claims court in your county.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is small claims court in a shopping mall?

N​o... hang on I'll get you the info :)

I​n MS, small claims cases are heard in Justice Court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I find a justice court in olive branch ms
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please I feel like I am getting a run around from you. How do I get a number for justice court where is the phone number or office
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in desoto county

Here's the form: https://courts.ms.gov/forms/civil_case_filing_form.pdf

And I'm going to get you a phone number now....

Clerk's Office
450 High Street
Jackson, MS 39201
(601)(###) ###-####/strong>
FAX(###) ###-####

That's the number to the clerk's office. They'll be able to give you all the specifics you need :)

And this is your specific court:

Justice Court | DeSoto County, MS - Official Website

www.desotocountyms.gov/144/Justice-Court

Justice Courts have jurisdiction over small claims civil cases involving amounts of $3,500 or less, misdemeanor criminal cases, and any traffic offense that occurs outside a municipality. Justice Court judges may conduct bond hearings and preliminary hearings in felony criminal cases and may issue search warrants.

• 8525 Highway 51 N, Southaven, MS 38671 ·(###) ###-####/p>

I ​would call the 662 number first... since it's your specific court.. rather than calling the main clerk's office number.

This is who you'd want to speak with:

Pat Sanford Justice Court Clerk - 8525 Highway 51 North Southaven, MS 38671

Ph:(###) ###-####br />Fx:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect! Wish that poor dog luck. All I care about is the safety and welfare of this sweet dog. The ja bird is a crook and a drug addict. And my brother is a jerk who dogs not like animals and would give to dog to a mother homeless person
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You gave me the wrong information
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Small claims only deals with money. Are you an attorney

I am an attorney. And small claims deals in property as well.

A dog is deemed property by the courts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Small claims court said no money involved they don’t handle it. Call court of action in hernado , they said they don’t handle that

There is money involved - all the money you spent caring for the dog.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t care about that and don’t want to be paid back I want legal ownership of this dog to care for it. I am about to cry and I am at work

So first don't cry. I'm trying to help you and I'm trying to get you into an EASIER court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you connected with the ASPCA?

If you don't go to small claims it's harder to proceed on your own in the other courts. Which means then you'll want to go to www.martindale.com to find an attorney.

Just Answer has no affiliation with the ASPCA.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is some kind of run around no one knows how to get ownership of the poor dog who needs a good home

M​a'am I've tried to help you for the past hour and you've repeatedly told me that I'm not helpful. The dog is owned by someone else. You would have to convince a judge that given the care you've given to the dog it should be deemed yours which is a hard argument to succeed upon - and if you fail with that argument perhaps you can get as damages the amount you spent on this dog. But since you don't feel like any of the information I'm providing to you is helpful I'm going to opt out of your question and let someone else try if they choose to.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney